Sunday, January 21, 2007

Topics in Research

Thoughts on my research topic have been overwhelming. I do not feel that I have enough experience in anything to write a ten page paper, but there are many things I would be interested in researching.

  1. Global Warming: I would love to write a ten page paper on the effects of Global Warming on the environment, whether it be a certain animal or plant. I already hold strong opinions on the issue, but I feel that I need to know more.
  2. Forest Fires: I recently overheard an argument about forest fires by my boss and a forester. I found the argument to be very interesting. Though I do not have much experience with forest fires, I would find it fun to research.
  3. The Rise of Distance Learning: I am definitely not a rookie at the distance learning thing. I have now taken twelve distance learning courses. I find this new phase of learning very interesting. I am curious to see how it grows in the coming years.
  4. Dangers of Second-Hand Smoke: My grandmother died of second-hand smoke inhalation. This would not be my first topic, but we are asked to list seven.
  5. The Spanish Language and American Children: I’m starting to push my topics a little bit, but I think it would be great if ALL elementary schools in the United States had a Spanish class. Just like art, music, and PE, it would be great if schools could fit a half hour session, or even 15 minutes into young children’s schedules to learn Spanish. For a semester in high school, I taught a second and fourth grade class Spanish, once a week. They absolutely loved it! We need to push our children’s learning abilities one step farther. Many other countries do it, why shouldn't we?
  6. Military Action in Iraq: I have followed this War from the beginning, and I am more intrigued with it now than I have ever been. It’s almost comical to see how crazy it keeps getting. Though I would be interested in doing a topic with this subject, I don’t know if I would.
  7. Earthquakes of the West Coast: If you’ve read my bio, I love the West. I can see myself living on the coast of Oregon, but the dangers of the fault line can be very serious.

5 comments:

dgreeson said...

Amanda,
The topic of spanish in all elementary schools might be a good topic for an argumetive paper. Bil-lingual schools (spanish) is a hot topic. With the rise in the hispanic population in the US, difficulties with illegal immigration, English as a second language programs(ESL) etc, you will probably find alot talk both for and against.

Linda

Elyse said...

One fo my topics was distance learning too. I think i might go with my art education topic so I'd really love to see someone do a research paper on distance learning!

Worth Weller said...

wow - item #3 gets my attention Amanda; you could talk to my boss (my e-mail), and he could lead you to some statistics; we might be able to get this paper "out there" too.

You couild interview me too. (Interviews count as sources)

My favorite way of posing this is: "Internet Teaching: Oxymoron, or Cutting Edge Pedagogy."

Your approach to global warming looks very good too.

Stephanie Morr said...

I think the topic of second hand smoke would be great, especially since it is a huge issue right now and you could get alot of current information on it.

danielle spratt said...

Amanda,
It seems like you have a lot of interest on the global warming issue. After reading Mr. Wellers post though, it seems like he could guide you toward some great sources!